Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Virginia Dreaming...

Is it possible that we might be moving back to Virginia??? Daniela had an interview at Roanoke College, in Salem, VA - a small town right next to Roanoke in southwestern Virginia.



Roanoke's campus is quite pretty- red brick and sand-colored columns and accents and lots of trees and lawns- too bad it's the middle of winter.





...


And then there's the Biology building... Why oh why? Why did the birth of modern biology have to be in the late 60s? On top of it all, they have these massive rust and steel-colored sculptures nearby.

5 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Eric said...

I just knew it-- when I first looked at these photos, I applied the age-old rule: ugliest building = biology. Sad, but usually true.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Ingrid said...

What, there are no fans of modernist architecture out there? I for one am not opposed to a little minimalism and streamlining. Wait, is that postmodernism? Oh well.

How did the interview go, Dr. Bell? We were all rooting for you. Thanks for the fast update.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Daniela said...

So, I do actually like modern (postmodern?) architecture... Finnish embassy is one example that I really love. I just don't think that modernism finds its best expression in biology and other science buildings from the late 60s. Plus, there was this whole other college/university architecture philosophy which was about reducing student protests- windows not exposed so rocks, etc. couldn't be thrown, etc. As far as modern sculpture goes, I admit I am less cultured on that aspect.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Anemonella said...

Yep! Here at Sweet Briar, ugliest building = science as well. And the building was buit in 1964. It's surprisingly porous during rainstorms, too.

And I for one am rooting strongly for Daniela and this job! We would be close enough for us to Collaborate on Science. And for me to drink Eric's beer.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Daniela said...

Yes, I want to do science with Janet! How fun would that be???? Let's hopw they liked me enough to offer me the job...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home