Sunday, January 22, 2006

All that is old is new again

These photos are from Roanoke. I just love this kind of stuff from the 50s or 60s or whatnot. Each of them is classic in its own right. The pawn shop was the nicest pawn shop I've ever seen (my experience being limited to a) pawn shops on Law and Order and b) one time when my master's advisor had all her family jewelry stolen and the police advised her to go to pawn shops in the area to see if it turned up). And the cleaner's sign is so awesome I want to own the place! Roanoke also has lots of even older advertisements- painted on the brick buildings, "Addley's Biscuits, 5 cents a package."

And thankfully, there is an independent bookstore downtown! With people in there who know what they are talking about and selling. What a concept (heavy on the sarcasm; those of you who know my "George Eliot- is that fiction or non-fiction?" story will know what I am talking about). And they gave me a free paperback at checkout. It was an advance copy of a book of stories so they couldn't re-sell it, but still. I also found a good, independent coffeehouse (no Starbucks in the 3 block downtown area I explored!) . Downtown there are a number of independently-owned restaurants and shops, including a kind of food court with all kinds of food from pizza to greek food to milkshakes. And the entire town has free WiFi.

All not to suggest that Roanoke is free of all the chain restaurants, Barnes & Noble, Wal-mart, etc. They are there, it's just that the downtown is nice and not dead!





3 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lokks like it has a lot of character and charm. Cozy looking town. Mami

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Anemonella said...

And it's my understanding that Roanoke has a large food co-op too.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Jenny Song said...

now if only roanoke could somehow be in minnesota!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home