Monday, June 26, 2006

Trip to Wisconsin: Madison


Just back from my long weekend trip to Wisconsin. I went on Wednesday evening; on Thursday, I took a quick side trip to Madison, the state capital, home of the U. of Wisconsin, and a fine beer town (more on that coming soon in the beer blog).

Madison is quite lovely-- it sits in between two lakes (Mendota and Monona) and has lots of parks. It features a beautiful state capitol building, which is visible from much of the town by virtue of its location on a hill.

And oh, the beer... But for that, you'll have to wait.

I went into the Capitol building, which is very nice, and climbed all the way up to the observation deck, from which one can see all of Madison.

Madison currently has some public art scattered around downtown-- just as Washington DC had various painted panda sculptures, so Madison has, appropriately, cows.

7 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Anemonella said...

Hey, did you go to the Essen Haus when you were there? Man, I never got out of that place without getting totally ripped first.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Jenny Song said...

in st. paul we had painted charlie browns and snoopy's, as st. paul is where charles schulz spent some of his childhood!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Daniela said...

very funny, but Lisboa is also doing the painted cow thing!!! Mamita thought the photo of the cow was one of OUR photos from last weekend.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Sadly, Anem, I didn't go to the Essen Haus. I was only in Madison for a few hours, and I spent my entire beer-drinking quota at the Great Dane... but if I could have gone to another place, it probably would have been there (or the Union).

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Jenny Song said...

how's mamita enjoying portugal?

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Daniela said...

Mamita loves Portugal as much as I and Eric do! How could you not, really. Cos you know, we have good taste. lol. It's a bit late and I am a bit goofy!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Ingrid said...

Wow, the lake looks beautiful! Hey, are you taking these photos with your camera? Impressive. So the Portugal soccer frenzy much be reaching a pitch about now, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home