Monday, May 14, 2007

Our Lawn



The other day, I mowed the lawn for the second time this season. It had gotten a bit too long, believe it or not, so the mowing with my manpowered mower was a bit tough. I spent much of the time I was mowing thinking of ways to get rid of the grass. I have no love for grass. I would prefer if our yard (small as it is) had none of the damned stuff. We did remove a substantial amount this year in the form of our lovely vegetable garden plot--

and the previously-depicted garden area on our "boulevard" in front of the house. That's progress.

If we eliminate the same amount of grass each year, it won't take long before there's only a few minutes' worth of mowing to do.

What is the grass good for, anyway? I mean, our yard is not big enough for our future children to play baseball, say, or much of anything else. Mind you, it would be bigger if not for the jungle gym the twice-removed previous owners left us (visible in the far background of this picture)--

but still. Wouldn't flowers beds be much nicer? Ah well. In the meantime, I will mow the damned stuff every so often. But there won't be one drop of water applied to it-- if it gets dry enough to want to die, it's welcome to do so. I will not contribute to environmental degradation for the sake of having a lawn that looks like a damned golf course. I think the previous owners used fertilizers and/or herbicides-- another thing it won't see a drop of. My compost (which is decomposing nicely in its Envirocycle bin, thank you) is for the good stuff-- vegetables and flowers.

I'm not sure why I felt compelled to rant on this subject, but there you are. Any experiences you have to share about landscaping or the lack thereof are welcome.

2 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's clearly after mowing reaction!! Not to worry, with no rain it will die off. Mamita

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an experienced lawn caretaker I feel it is only fair of me to warn you...I too have a 'wo'man powered mower and I learned the hard way that if left to run wild, the weeds take over the lawn and nice quiet lawn mower cannot handle the super juicy weeds (which then proceed to take over flower and veggie beds...bad, bad, bad!). SO- my solution has been organic lawn care. I know it is not ideal as I too also believe in only flower/veggie beds, but that is also a lot of work. Email me if you want tips. Your place is beautiful! Mandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home