Saturday, July 21, 2007

Blueberry Pie


We picked some blueberries this week at this farm, located about 30 minutes north of us. We also picked some while we were in Maine, the main difference being that the Maine ones were free (being on my parents' property or in the national park). With the ones in Maine, we made blueberry sauce to put atop blueberry pancakes. And we ate them for dinner. What decadence.

With these berries, a pie was in order. I've only made a couple of blueberry pies in my piemaking career-- I've made many more apple and cherry pies than anything else. And the blueberry pies I've made have been made using frozen berries. These were fresh, hand-picked by us.

I followed the filling recipe in the latest edition of the Joy of Cooking. In addition to my homemade crust, it called for:

5 cups of blueberries
3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (I used only 1/2 cup, since I usually prefer my pies to be less sweet than most)
1 tblsp fresh lemon juice
3 1/2 to 4 tbsp cornstarch (I used about 3 1/2, with the larger amount being for a lattice crust)

I'm baking it right now at 425 for 15 minutes, then I'll turn it down to 350 for another 35-45 until done.

I apologize for the series of non-pet related posts. I decided that I needed to keep track of my pie-making (so I can keep tabs on how recipes work out, how to improve them, etc.) and this seemed like an easy way.

And if you haven't picked any blueberries yet this season, get to it! The farm we went to is done already!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Daniela said...

The pie turned out VERY yummy!

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a slice. Mamita

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Could have used even less sugar, I think! Those blueberries were verrrry sweet...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home