Saturday, August 18, 2007

Plum Pie


I found some locally produced plums at our co-op and couldn't resist their siren call. They were red plums, unlike the black Italian-type plums I've made pie with before. So....

2 containers of red plums, pitted and halved
just under 1/2 cup organic sugar (ended up being quite tart; a bit more would've been fine, though we liked it just as it was)
4 tbsp corn starch, mixed with a little water (ended up being quite firm and thick, so could've used a bit less corn starch... I was worried because when I was pitting the plums they were incredibly juicy)

homemade pie crust

Turned out great! Tart, but not too much. Last piece of the pie was destroyed by Vasco the Kitten in an attempt to reach the butter, which, along with the last bit of pie, I had placed on top of the refrigerator, hoping it would be out of is reach..... alas.... also, two of our nice recycled glass plates died in the cat-astrophe as well....

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad 94 E is closed!!

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Daniela said...

Yes, very sad for the Minneapolis-based familia, because now Eric has made RASPBERRY pie!!! Funny how we think of the two cities being cut off since that bit of I-94 is closed...

Today we learned that the raspberry season extends into September and that we can pick our own in addition to buying it at the farmer's market. The farm is in Northfield so not too far.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger leigh said...

it looks yummy. . . oh my - rasberry pie - i'm flying out tonight! . . . with chocolate or vanilla ice cream.... yuuuuuummmmm

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Daniela said...

Yes, it is very good! I had a piece for dessert tonight with vanilla ice cream. It was really divine. I think I may have a new favorite pie...

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can also attest to the raspberry pie's yumminess.

thanks, eric! you are a pie god!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Ingrid said...

Aw, Northfield! That's where I went to college. Be sure to stop by the Blue Monday's coffee shop for me when you are there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home