Sunday, September 16, 2007

Herculaneum

I may have liked Herculaneum (Ercolano) even more than Pompeii! Hard imagine, I know. But it's a smaller site (about 4.5 hectares) and so more manageable and there seems to be more ongoing work to preserve and conserve the ruins, which is promising. The Packard Foundation is apparently involved in the multi-national, multi-institute, multi-disciplinary effort. Which means $$$$, as far as I can tell.

Here are some highlights (it was hard to choose, I took about 100 photos today!)...

The site, with modern Erolano and Mt Vesuvius in the distance,


The mosaic floor in the changing room of Women's Baths,


There were a number of beautiful wall paintings,


This was my favorite of all -- from the House of Neptune. The photos are crooked because I was crying from how beautiful and amazing it was...



2 Comments:

At 12:00 AM, Blogger leigh said...

it's simply awesome.

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing stuff you are getting to see. Thank you for posting the photos and your comments. It's wonderful to be able to share what you are seeing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home